Friday, June 12, 2009

My day Ruined!

Few days back, I had a very urgent opening for the position of Team Leader. As usual, I went around posting my Jobs on Jobsites. And the response was huge. Around 100 applications chocked my inbox. I went through every resume & found 10 profiles suitable for the requirement. I decided to shortlist the best 5.

All the ten were actually good. Eventually I short listed the better 5 among them.
And sent interview calls to the candidates.

One person told he was not able to make it. I received confirmation from others. Well, surely for the kind of shortlisting I had done, one of these will get through.

I arranged the technical round of Interview with the technical head. He was specific that he wants at least 3 persons to choose from… I informed to him that we have called 4 persons & all of them have emailed the confirmation.

On the interview date, I was a bit jittery… I any of these guys don’t turn up, my job is at stake.
After some time couple of Candidates had turned up for interview. I was hoping the others will turn up soon.

I called the reception and asked the names of the Candidates “Rajesh Reddy & Anirudh Malhotra” replied the receptionist.

I opened up inbox to check who have not turned up…

1. Rajesh Puli
2. Anirudh A Malhotra
3. Prakash Mathur
4. P Rajesh Reddy

I decided to call the candidates & called Prakash Mathur. He informed he was not able to make it. I thought, still if the other candidate turns up, I will be saved

I checked the confirmation emails from Rajesh Puli & found a single sentence which ruined by day… “Once again, I confirm attendance – Regards, Rajesh Puli Reddy”

- Duplication check has ruined another recruiters day. How many of our have been ruined till date.

- PS: As usual this is a Story… with an underlying fact!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

From one recruiter to another, my advice to you is simple. Stop worrying about how you might look to your employer if you fail in securing the appropriate number of candidates to interview and start INVESTING your time with the candidates you find. Had you spent enough time with each of these individuals, you might have been tipped off that Prakash Mathur would be a no show or that Rajesh Puli and P Rajesh Reddy were the same candidate. Nothing will bother a hiring manager more than the feeling that you are just throwing resumes at them to satisfy numbers. I would much rather spend time selling the "value" of 2 great candidates than trying to explain why I had one no show and somehow did not know that Rajesh Puli and P Rajesh Reddy were in fact, the same candidate. Also, candidates are pretty good at figuring out who is listening and paying attention to their needs and who isn't and more important, they ALL talk to each other about good and bad recruiters. Remember, good candidates are the lifeblood of our business.

Nick32 said...

Priya - that's a tough break, I think we have all been there or somewhere similar.

Have you thought about what your recruitmnent system (assuming you have one) can do to help avoid this situation?

Our system (called evolve and delivered online) is able to assimilate cv's quickly and easily via simple click and drop, index them and make them fully searchable (including duplicate management) without having to create extensive records.

Once via search you get down to a managemeablke and relevant group, those can then have records created in the normal way since they are the 'shortlist'.

In times of candidate overload, your front office system needs to be able to add extra value and that is the beauty of evolve....

Let me know if you'd like to organise an online demo